Tasmanian eSchool was first established in 1919 as a correspondence school for students living in isolated districts outside a radius of three miles from an existing state school.
By 1944 the school was providing primary education for around 300 students living beyond the school radius, the majority ranging in age from 5 to 15 years.
In the 1950’s operations of the Correspondence School were extended to enable older students – adults and particularly people acting as teachers in isolated schools – to study secondary subjects to Leaving School standard by correspondence. A secondary-school teacher was appointed for the first time at the Correspondence School.
In 2011 Distance Education became Tasmanian eSchool.